- 81% of Americans view real estate as a good investment
- 78% of Americans feel that housing prices will hold steady or increase over the next 12 months.
- It is cheaper to buy/own a home than to rent in 80% of the major markets in the US.
- 25% of young Americans plan to buy a home in the next two years.
- 95% of homeowners are happy they decided to buy a home.
- First time home buyers comprise 35% of the total home sales.
- 67% of first-time home buyers said that the real estate market conditions gave them the opportunity to purchase a home sooner than expected.
- 50% of buyers found a home in a better neighborhood than expected.
- 61% purchased their home at a price better than expected.
- 43% received a mortgage interest rate better than expected.
- 69% of Americans say that now is the best time to buy a home
- 88% of people search for homes on the internet, and 40% found the home they eventually purchased on the internet.
- 87% used a real estate agent to buy a home.
- For Sale by Owner homes reach a record low, only accounting for 6% of total sales.
- The average home seller was in their home for 9 years, and had 16% increase in equity when they sold it.
- The median age of a first-time home buyer was 31. The median age of a home seller was 53
- 60% of first-time home buyers bought because they "just wanted a home of their own".
- The median down payment for first-time home buyers was 5%.
Thursday, December 01, 2011
Real Estate Facts & Figures
Below are some facts and figures about the current real estate market, and what people think about it.
This information was compiled from two surveys, including one just released by the National Association of Realtors.